10 July 2013

Fireworks and Adele

I love my Kindle but sometimes when reading for work I still want to write notes in the margins and doodle on the page as my brain processes all of those concepts.  That’s the only thing the Kindle doesn’t do for me but otherwise I love it!  Just a Kindle update.

What of life you ask?  Well nothing super exciting.  Work is going well, working on expression tests, protein crystallization, and understanding sub-conductance levels.  If you thought or said “Huh?”; I do that on a daily basis.  Fourth of July was spent at the parents’ house and managed to get through it alive, no one died and no one was disowned.  Success.  The nephew and I played endlessly and he fixed my car for me, which meant him holding the flashlight for his dad while his dad tinkered with the car.  He was quite proud of himself.  I also made mac and cheese for the first time and a valuable lesson was also learned.  When making mac and cheese, buy ingredients in LBB and then take to Carlsbad.  I spent $50 on cheese.  Yes you read that right!  I almost keeled over when I saw the price but as I didn’t prepare I was stuck at the register buying all that stuff.  At least it was good.  I would have been angrier with myself had it not been good.  I came back exhausted but I had a good time.


Although, I do have one funny story from the 4th of July fireworks show.  My sister took me to go watch the show that Carlsbad puts on every year; the added bonus this year being that the local radio station had choreographed the show to music.  We parked at a parking lot to watch the show from because the streets that lead up to the site are blocked off.  They do it along the Pecos River and you have to show up early to find a spot, a whole drama that neither my sister nor I wanted to deal with on such a hot day.  Thus we parked from afar to watch; far being 1 ½ blocks away.  When the show started the music starts, quite patriotic.  Then halfway through the ½ hour show Adele starts singing.  That made me giggle.  The final song?  Adele’s “Skyfall” song.  Perhaps the fact that it had the word sky in the title made whoever chose the music think, sky = fireworks.  However, I think they missed the point – which was this day celebrates independence from England and monarchies.  I felt the song choices undermined that just a little.  When that last song came on the radio the giggle changed into laughter and eye-rolling.  And this is why I make fun of New Mexico.

2 comments:

  1. Adele was an odd choice, but I wouldnt have recognized the song regardless.

    I love home baked mac and cheese.

    Good to hear you had an nice 4th

    ReplyDelete