25 August 2015

New Mexico: Land of Hidden Beauty


Ruidoso. A word in Spanish that means very noisy. Also a town in New Mexico. My father took us there this weekend, a quaint mountain town with some fun outdoor activities. We actually drove up a very winding road to Ski Apache because my father wanted us to see the place. He felt it was very pretty and just wanted us to go with him. Once we were up there, all he and my mother wanted to do was sit and talk! My father is afraid of heights, my mother is afraid too even though she won't admit it. I think for him the thrill comes from driving up the mountain and wondering how the truck isn't tumbling down the side as it's a very small road. Thus we drove for 3 hours to get there and just sit and chat! They have gondola rides up to the top of the mountain and the view was beautiful but my parents declined the offer to go up. My sister and I actually want to go back up because Ski Apache has mountain biking and a zip line, totally want to do the zip line!

Looking towards White Sands, another hidden New Mexico gem.
Missing a sister here.



Although I found it a bit silly that my parents drove so long and high for "nothing", it really wasn't for nothing. They just wanted to spend some time with their daughters and their grandson. My sister recently moved, they don't get to see him everyday as before. They've had withdrawals. I guess having us all out of the house has been a strange thing for them; going through a bit of empty nest syndrome. I don't have pictures of them up here on the mountaintop because my parents refused to accompany us :)

New Mexico, so many hidden gems. They really need to amp up the advertising, seriously they have tons to do and such beautiful scenery.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful family outing! You will LOVE zip-lining - so munch fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird, I never thought of New Mexico having Mountains like that. Chalk that up to not getting out enuff. It is gorgeous. I'm with T&D Girl. I think you will love zip lining.

    Enjoy the rides with your Mom And Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we've all been making more of an effort to go on rides with my parents :)

      I agree, I tell ya New Mexico has some very hidden treasures.

      Delete